Sunday, January 8, 2017

THE GOOD OL' DAYS


As I was working some thoughts through my brain the other day, I got to thinking about the good old days. They're relative to a sci-fi novel I'll be writing at some point. The more I thought, the less answers I got. The truth? I can't think of any good old days. Guess I'll have to work a little harder than normal with this book. I'm pushing seventy. That's a whole bunch of life experience. But good old days? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong. I had some good moments back in the day, but not extended stays. How many of you fall into the same boat as me? The moments occurred because I made them happen.

I was born in 1947. The days of radio. Pre TV. The shows were great. I loved The Shadow and Inner Sanctum. The negative was that I was only three when they were on. If my mother caught me sneaking down the hall to listen to them, she would beat the living shit out of me. You guessed it: mom was evil. At least to me and my sister. The other three brothers, not so much. This made childhood less than good.

The fifties are portrayed as fun and games. For who? The U.S. was building bomb shelters for Christ sake. If you were a minority, you were treated like shit. Not good for them.

The sixties? Upheavals for civil rights, which only came about because of black people themselves. Don't buy into the stories that the Kennedy's and LBJ fought for it. The war in Nam was an interesting mix of those who went and fought - I volunteered - and hippies hiding behind college deferments because of a lack of balls. Guess you know where I stand on that. What pisses me off the most was how the returning Vets were treated. I can never forgive those who did this. What's even worse is that this election year we have a candidate for President who dodged the draft five times. And we want him to be Commander In Chief? I don't think so.

I think you're seeing a pattern here. I'm not going to bore you with any more of  my vitriol. I write horror and can conveniently dispatch of folks I don't like in many delightful ways. Oh the joy!

So, my friends, my words of advice to you are to take whatever moments you can out of life and enjoy them. If you are blessed with many, that's a great thing. If not, maybe your luck will change, or you will create some luck of your own. I did just that. Last year I got married to a wonderful lady. She shockingly said yes when I asked her to marry me. Things are great now. And the bad things from the past? Perfect fodder for some horror stories.

Have happy lives, my friends!

Blaze McRob  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment