Sunday, January 8, 2017

WHAT SHOULD YOUR COVER ART SHOW?


I thought I would post this one day before I show the cover reveal for Mists Of Papoose Pond tomorrow. Terri DelCampo did the cover art  for our collection of short stories in Blood Spatter. The cover tells it all. It's set around Halloween and blood is spattered. No glossy crap needed. The cover is bright and stands out. Perfect for this collection.

The cover for Mists Of Papoose Pond is a bit more intricate, but it still does not have the glossy look that Terri and I would prefer to stay away from. She did the cover art for this novel as well. The cover is just the right level of spooky and does not give the story away. This is a rather different novel, a blend of adventure/horror/end days/and more. Ah, one could say the cover is a teaser. That's because it must be that way.

I am currently at work painting a cover for Club Blaze, a collection of extreme horror tales that Zack Kullis and I are collaborating on. My objective is to go for a dark cover with just enough light and detail to denote that something evil is going down. My base color is black. Then I paint another mixture of two base colors over that to get the effect I want before going into any detail. It's a lot of fun.

So, I think you can see a common thread with these three pieces of cover art. Make the covers suitable for the book, and don't over-describe with your cover art. Keep prospective readers wondering what lies on the pages. The cover should entice. Not fully describe.

Thank you for reading this.

Blaze McRob



No comments:

Post a Comment