Thursday, September 26, 2024

BLAZING OWL PRESS NEWSLETTER: NUMBER THREE

 


Another week. Another newsletter. This time around, I'll start out by adding to my last post. 

I've discovered another hitch that occurs when an author goes with a publisher, large or small. Sometimes, the publisher will remove either the paper version or the eBook from the market. Sometimes both. If a writer is counting on receiving paper books to sell at book signings and they no longer exist, they're up the creek without a paddle. Not having an eBook copy for sale is also troubling. You lose either way. This has happened to many authors I know. Heck, it's happened to me. At one time I sold a lot of books in bars using my buy a book and receive a free beer routine. I sold a lot of books that way. Of course, I got my books at a reduced price, thus I was able to pass the savings to my customers. It was a win/win for everyone. Of course, the books have to be on hand. This is simply another thing that writers need to consider. Don't get screwed. 

With all the merging going on with the so-called big boys, nothing is safe there. Once again, I speak from experience. I'll never publish with them anymore. Nor will I go with smaller presses. I've mentioned this before. This is up to every author, of course. 

Another possibility exists with online books available to be read by patrons of libraries. I've sold some like that. However, sometimes one can wind up in an area where books in certain genres are not readily accepted. I've moved to an area like that. I live in Bible Belt Georgia. There aren't as many horror fans here as I encountered in Wyoming. However, I do write in many genres and intend to explore the possibilities. My library uses Overdrive which is one of the bigger purveyors of eBooks. And yes, one can get money for this. I'm going to a local author book signing on Saturday and I'll ask some authors I know if they take advantage of this. I'll let you know if I come up with anything to pass on.

******

I see a lot of authors who go the Amazon Kindle Unlimited route. I tried it for a very short time and didn't like it. Going wide is the way to go in my estimation. Putting all your eggs in one basket isn't smart. For example, in Canada Kobo books are big. Just saying.

******

Since my last newsletter, I've stopped posting on X/Twitter. Why? There's too much garbage being passed around there. Yes, I stayed out of the arguments and all, but there are a lot of things I just can't condone there anymore. I know it will kill me as far as the algorithms go, but I feel I don't want my conscience to be sullied by a billionaire's ravings. Enough said about that.

******


My Woman In horror this week is Cindy Keen Reynders. Go to

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/4527027449764294729/7306249698646264836

and read the post there. She writes great horror and detective tales. You don't want to miss out on her great offerings.




******




I have a book review I wrote a while back for Even Hell Has Standards: Pride, written by Chantal Noordeloos. Chantal has a wonderful way with words. She brings you into her stories in a most delightful way. Make sure you check out this great book as well as her other tales of horror. They are all great.

Blaze McRob

                                                                *    *    *    *

Book description:


Sometimes life brings out the worst in a person, but Adolf Zakerny was born for evil. After a life of torment and murder, all in the name of Hell, it’s time for Zakerny to take his place amongst the demons. Will the blood he spilled appease the charismatic Lord of Hell, or will Zakerny’s Pride come to a fall?

‘Pride’ is the first of seven short stories in the ‘Even Hell Has Standards’ series, where Chantal Noordeloos takes the reader through the darker side of human nature, and it’s road to redemption. This is Hell as you’ve never seen it before.



Robert C. Nelson
5.0 out of 5 starsDon't Believe In Hell? You Will Now!
April 24, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


Chantal Noordeloos has come up with the perfect tale for those who do not believe in Hell. Her story is filled with plenty of gore and sadism, but it is the psychological horror which comes to the fore-front. Take one truly evil human, Adolf - even her choice of a name for the antagonist in this romp through the worst of what an entity could possibly foist upon his fellow humans is perfect - add pride which exceeds no known limits, mix well, and wham! We are blessed with a story which will most likely have theologians shaking their heads, wagging fingers, and spouting venom when perhaps they might see that maybe, just maybe, Chantal has hit upon something . . . something which could possibly be.

Am I saying the Gospel According To Chantal Noordeloos is true? Of course not. This is a fiction tale of horror, and the author is not bandying about any new dogma. What she does do, as any great author does, is open the reader's mind to the possibility of truth within the story. By creating a story line which appears to be reasonable, the reader is drawn into its intricate meanderings of what is to happen next to this man Adolf, a man who fears no one and is truly not repentant for his sins.

Does Adolf win? Does Satan win? Or does God win? Oh, me lads and lassies, that is not for me to say. Read this great story and get carried away within conceptual beliefs you may have never heard before. This book pushes the limits, but in the most delightful of ways.

Are you tired of fluff? Do you wish to read a thinking person's story, yet one filled with a telling and hypnotic spell? Chantal Noordeloos has written what you are looking for. Embrace the words of a master at her craft.

Even Hell Has Standards: Pride, will not let you down!







******

The art piece for this week is the cover art for That Bobbie Kid, a gritty book I wrote a while back. Terri DelCampo's artwork explains what the book is about. This is her number one book for positive comments for cover art.










******

JUST WRITE

I posted this on my website a while back. It's still good advice I believe. In this post, I added what Terri DelCampo has to say about the subject. I hope you pick up a few pointers.                                                 
Do you want to be an author? Just write. Easy peasy. You don't have the time? Horseshit. We all have time. I worked at many jobs at the same time, not having a day off for nine years. I still wrote. I wanted to, so I did it. In twenty-something years, I wrote and had some seventy-five ghostwritten novels published.

There are many moments you can use as writing time. Get up early and write. Do you work at a desk job? Write at lunch while you're eating. Carry a little notebook or tape recorder and take notes. Put the notes together and you'll have a story. Write at the end of the day when the kids are asleep. I think you can see a pattern here.

Why am I writing this now? Simple. Some folks have been bombarding me about how they want to be a writer but can't find the time. Writing takes no time. If you want to get published and sell some books, that's a different matter. This quickie post is not about that. More to come about that later, as with other articles I have written about it in the past.

Prioritize. If you don't want to be a writer, then don't write. If you do: write.

If you're still reading my discourse, and you want to be a writer, you're in luck. I'm finished. Time for you to write. I want to see your books bandied about so I can tell the world about them.

Happy writing.



Blaze McRob

******                                                          

 I love this scene from Finding Forrester. Excellent movie for aspiring writers, or even writers who need a motivation nudge.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLBEFvMkQCo This scene epitomizes how I feel about writing. If you're a writer, you write. Simple as that. I never go anywhere without paper and pen. Period. Don't even need a computer or typewriter. Pen and paper. Simple. In the house, in the car, on the beach, anywhere. From the time I was eleven. No matter what was going on in my life, I wrote. Because I am and always have been a writer.

Reasons that people give you for not writing are bullshit. I got up at 4:30 in the morning when my kids were very little and wrote 6 screenplays that way. Later when I worked for my husband's plumbing business and still had kids to raise, I stayed up until midnight and one in the morning. Wrote my first two novels that way. Then I worked full-time after my separation and divorce and wrote my third novel by not flopping on the sofa and watching TV when I got home from work.

After my car accident and being rendered disabled, I began self-publishing my magazine Owl's Eye View online, and last year I self-published my seven novels, three novellas, multiple short story collections, and Best Of collections from the magazine columns on Kindle (some 30 books). There's time. Carpe Diem, people. Or Carpe Noctem. Just don't carpe bullshit excuses. Just write!



Terri DelCampo

******

That's it for this week! Hope you enjoyed this newsletter.

Blaze


No comments:

Post a Comment