Wednesday, November 24, 2021

RED SURF - BY BLAZE MCROB

 


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYDZWBP/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i44


Red Surf, a short story by Blaze McRob, is a tale of revenge, triggered by incidents which could have, in real life, led to tragic results for many people. The book description sets it up nicely.

Once known for romance,

This place turns into a bloody dance;

In the tempo of disease

On an island no one leaves.

******

To add even more of a reason to check out my tale, I have included a short teaser below.

******

There is just a sliver of a moon tonight, barely enough to show the surf for what it is. Others like me stare out into the gently rippling waters, the hunger in our bellies driving us mad from the ravenous urge to seek out more prey. But one cannot eat what is not there.

Maybe . . .  just maybe if I wade out into the red surf one more time there will be a morsel overlooked from before.

Others beat me to it, but it is all for naught. The blood-stained waters are barren. We saw to that earlier. Santa Catalina. The old song beats a wild staccato in my head. No, this is no longer an island of romance. Leave me alone, damn it! 

But it doesn't leave me alone. Over and over again the words assault me. How can there be romance without people? There can't. This is insanity. Everything is insanity now. 4,000 residents of this island are either now dead or like me. Maybe I'd be better off dead.

The old clay and metal pipes which wore away long ago allowed human sewage to flow into the city's ground water and eventually into Avalon Bay. Over the years the bacteria deposits grew and gained entry into the bodies of those tending the beaches. Day after day we were assaulted without even knowing it.

The fecal bacteria inside my body tear at me, changing me more and more from what once was a human to whatever it is I am now. Chunks of flesh have fallen away from me, leaving boils and pockets of pus. My hair is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, joining with my departed flesh as it becomes litter on the beach, further desecrating it.

******

Happy reading!


Blaze McRob

No comments:

Post a Comment